Saturday, 20 May 2017

Just take me to the Andaman!!!

Welcome to Havelock Island

Yes I have been!!! So proud to say that. Havelock is the largest one of the Andaman Archipelago.  It has a breathtaking coastline, lush forested interior, fantastic diving and snorkeling (nowadays only with guides) possibilities and a stunning location; the Andaman Islands are a perfect place to ramble around or simply chill out on sun-toasted white sandy beaches. Reaching Andaman from Europe is quite an expensive option even if you are a backpacker.
You must first fly to India and then to Port Blair, the gateway to the Andaman Islands. Once in India, there are many Indian low cost flights such as Kingfisher Airlines, Air Deccan that fly regularly from Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi and so on. I went there via Chennai and returned back via Kolkata. There are also regular passenger ship services to Port Blair from Chennai, Kolkata and Visakhapatnam: there are three sailings a month from Kolkata and Chennai to Port Blair and vice-versa and only once a month from Visakhapatnam. This one way trip takes about 50 to 60 hours during the good weather condition. So even if it is a very cheap option, the time you need to go and come back is too much. Most of the time it is used by the Andamanese who live in the mainland for business. I forgot to say that Indian visa is required while visiting Andaman so before buying the flight tickets contact the Indian embassy of your country of origin in order to obtain the tourist visa, it costs about € 100.00. Once you reach Port Blair, there are ferries connecting all populated islands and tourist places. Tickets are issued at the counters located at the Jetty. In case you don’t want to wait longer there are private boats that can take you everywhere. This could be a good option if you are arriving to Port Blair after sunset. Most of the travelers don’t bed in Port Blair, they are headed to Havelock. I came in the early afternoon so I could wait for the ferry without any problem. Once you get into Havelock you will fall in love with that picturesque natural paradise with its beautiful white sandy beaches, rich coral reefs and lush green forest. I could feel the unspoiled nature! As I said first Havelock is a biggest and populated one in the Andaman Archipelago. I stayed in a hotel called Pristine; to be honest it was a lovely beach front hut with all facilities. I didn’t move from Havelock, I spent my ten days on vacation chilling out in Havelock. I have rented a bicycle for my daily use. As most of the tourist developing countries, it was not dangerous at all so I could go everywhere with my bicycle. Go everywhere and meet the people, see their villages. If you are still planning your next vacation, put it in your list. Nobody will be disappointed with the Andaman Islands.





2 comments:

  1. Oh I am totally with you. The pristine white beacjes, turquoise sea and the blue skies are pure bliss. Havelock is my favorite destination in Andaman islands. We rented a motorbike and had such a great time there. 10 days here would have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are exactly my words - just take me to the andamans. Have been planning a trip there for a while now. Let's see when it gets possible . It's indeed a place that scores very high on my list with it's pristine beauty.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your feedback

Most wanted