Monday, 17 July 2017

Me, my car, Krafla and Iceland



Want to feel like in a different planet? Then here is place for you: Krafla Volcano! It is a most spectacular and active volcano of Iceland. It is situated on the northwest part of the Island called Mývatn. We all already know that Mývatn is one of the most popular destinations in Iceland for both foreign and domestic tourists so it is well connected by road. You can easily reach the place without a 4 wheel drive. Once at the spot, it takes only a few seconds to walk from the parking lot to the rim. The lava is still steaming in places; you can see the smoke rising around you. Take your time and walk all around it on paths, including right up to the cinder cone. Most people stop at the wooden viewing point near the rhyolite hill but believe me that hiking to the top is really worth! The walk takes you up to a dark, still smoldering pit of lava. It is such a unique place, I have never seen something similar in any of my travels. We wandered around for almost 3 hours admiring the raw power of the earth. We stopped at every single corner to admire the different geological textures all around. Has been an excellent experience, the landscape was really like from another planet. There are good photographic options but remember that the photos just don't do justice. Just amazing!!!

Suggestions:

1.    Use good hiking shoes as the lava rock can be hard on shoe tread
2.    If possible avoid during heavy snow because it will cover up the sceneries
3.    Be sure to have your wind gear, as the winds here can be very strong and cold.




11 comments:

  1. Iceland to me is always about ice, earthquakes, beautiful scenery, Aurora Borealis and of course, lava.
    I wonder when I will get the time to visit this mystical island. We don't have very many Icelanders here in India so the charm of Iceland gets bigger every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you should force yourself to fly Iceland soon! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. An active volcano, does it not pose a danger to the people there? How old is the volcano? Are the people or the tourist are not afraid for the unexpected explosion of that volcano? I won't dare of coming over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting Iceland is really one of my dreams. I want to see this volcano. I want to see the Northern Lights. I hope to get the chance to visit this country soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Thank you for the tips! Will definitely buy good shoes for all my future hikes! Loved that you shared tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love hiking so much and this one is really sound like my kind of adventure. I love your lovely photos and your concise article about this stunning place. I'll surely be going to pen this on m bucket list.Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iceland is definitely in my wishlist! I have to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely place to visit, Let's go hiking... NIce..

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's the air there like? Was it difficult to breathe? Suitable for people with asthma? It looks gorgeous, but not sure about the air quality...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just thinking about Iceland makes me feel like it's a different planet, how much more a volcano in "ICE-LAND", do you get it? LOL

    I have never been to a place with ice yet, I wish the first one would be this place that you wrote about. And I could even wish better if you can tour me around with your car.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been there in Iceland. I will add this to my bucket list. I love your lovely photos and your concise article about this stunning post

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your feedback

Most wanted